Did you know?
• Children who know many songs and rhymes when they start school are much more likely to learn to read and write more easily.
• Traditional songs and rhymes are good but singing along to the radio or T.V programmes help also.
How does this help / support my child?
• Hearing the sound of familiar voices singing, humming and chanting will give the child confidence and they will join in.
• Children will gain a great deal of information about language through rhymes
Try one of the following:
• Sing or say rhymes from your childhood to or with your child
• Sing an action rhyme from playgroup or nursery together
Activities you might like to try at home
• Sing along to a rhyme CD or tape with your child
• Make a puppet together to help with the actions in the rhymes